Thursday, April 23, 2009

Truth in Sayings

Every day we hear various phrases, comments, references to literature, myths, the common "you know what they say" and we all say "who are they?" Can we believe everything we hear? Do you believe what your minister/priest/clergy say? Do you believe what your boss says? The President of the United States? People or Star magazines? The newspapers? Katie Couric? NPR? The list goes on and on.... Exactly what should we believe???? and who?

A few events bring me to this topic, one being that I spend entirely too much time trying to understand the meaning behind people's words - especially the written word that appears in black and white. The second factor came from watching "Private Practice" where one of the stories perpetuated the idea that "if you really love someone, you'll let them go." When I was in high school, I believed this completely. As time passed and my relationships became stable, reliable and dependable, I no longer found the need for that statement; that is, until recently. Having lost a loved one, the pain is real and the letting go seems worse. It's the uncertainty of not knowing what the future holds that makes the letting go so difficult. And now, I don't believe in the truth of that statement at all. Why should anyone have to let go of someone they love? and the only answer I can fathom is if the object of the love didn't love back. That is the only time the statement makes sense.

No comments: