Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Signs of Spring

In an informal survey on FB, the consensus is worms are yucky! Warning - no scientific research was used in the survey only the opinion and perceptions of a few. One noted that worms are a sign of spring. Another researcher noted that males seem to be very fond of worms particularly their unique scent. On rainy days, it was discovered that worms like to spread out across driveways. No fishing fanatics weighed in on the evidence, however one respondent LOL'd.

Okay, so I'm being facetious. What would we do without the second sign of spring?! In Michigan, spotting a robin is the first sign of spring. A close second is the arrival of the earthworm. Simply put worms are weirdly wormy. I must admit I'm rather fond of one particular worm, Lowly. In his one boot and hat, Lowly worm is a precious character created by the late Richard Scarry. I thought it cruel and unusual that Mr. Scarry would name the poor creature Lowly as if being a worm wasn't bad enough. However, Lowly is an endearing character you grow to love. One of my favorite aspects of Richard Scarry's books was to look for Lowly worm on each page. Long before Where's Waldo? we had Lowly worm to hide in the pages of pictures.

As a tribute to Richard Scarry and all earthworms, I declare April 21st to be the official "Lowly Worm Day". This special recognition supports the green agenda currently sweeping the nation as worms are vital to our earth. Did I just say that? As if being environmentally friendly is a new concept?! During my college years 22 years ago, my friends and I used to volunteer at the Recycling Center in Albion, MI. Recycling, earth friendly products, canvas bags so not new to me...and definitely wasn't a new concept back in '87 either. But I digress...this is a tribute to Lowly Worm. As part of celebrating Lowly worm, and putting forth a green effort, I encourage you to consider composting. Lowly will be so proud! Happy Earth Day!!

No comments: